English
 
User Manual Privacy Policy Disclaimer Contact us
  Advanced SearchBrowse

Item

ITEM ACTIONSEXPORT
  Statistical learning of an auditory sequence and reorganization of acquired knowledge: A time course of word segmentation and ordering

Daikoku, T., Yatomi, Y., & Yumoto, M. (2017). Statistical learning of an auditory sequence and reorganization of acquired knowledge: A time course of word segmentation and ordering. Neuropsychologia, 95, 1-10. doi:10.1016/j.neuropsychologia.2016.12.006.

Item is

Basic

show hide
Item Permalink: http://hdl.handle.net/11858/00-001M-0000-002C-200F-4 Version Permalink: http://hdl.handle.net/21.11116/0000-0003-8997-8
Genre: Journal Article

Files

show Files
hide Files
:
Daikoku(2017).pdf (Any fulltext), 2MB
 
File Permalink:
-
Name:
Daikoku(2017).pdf
Description:
-
Visibility:
Restricted (Max Planck Institute for Human Cognitive and Brain Sciences, MLNP; )
MIME-Type / Checksum:
application/pdf
Technical Metadata:
Copyright Date:
-
Copyright Info:
-
License:
-

Locators

show

Creators

show
hide
 Creators:
Daikoku, Tatsuya1, Author              
Yatomi, Yutaka1, Author
Yumoto, Masato1, Author
Affiliations:
1Department of Clinical Laboratory, Graduate School of Medicine, University of Tokyo, Japan, ou_persistent22              

Content

show
hide
Free keywords: Word segmentation; Word ordering; Statistical learning; Markov process; Magnetoencephalography
 Abstract: Previous neural studies have supported the hypothesis that statistical learning mechanisms are used broadly across different domains such as language and music. However, these studies have only investigated a single aspect of statistical learning at a time, such as recognizing word boundaries or learning word order patterns. In this study, we neutrally investigated how the two levels of statistical learning for recognizing word boundaries and word ordering could be reflected in neuromagnetic responses and how acquired statistical knowledge is reorganised when the syntactic rules are revised. Neuromagnetic responses to the Japanese-vowel sequence (a, e, i, o, and u), presented every .45 s, were recorded from 14 right-handed Japanese participants. The vowel order was constrained by a Markov stochastic model such that five nonsense words (aue, eao, iea, oiu, and uoi) were chained with an either-or rule: the probability of the forthcoming word was statistically defined (80% for one word; 20% for the other word) by the most recent two words. All of the word transition probabilities (80% and 20%) were switched in the middle of the sequence. In the first and second quarters of the sequence, the neuromagnetic responses to the words that appeared with higher transitional probability were significantly reduced compared with those that appeared with a lower transitional probability. After switching the word transition probabilities, the response reduction was replicated in the last quarter of the sequence. The responses to the final vowels in the words were significantly reduced compared with those to the initial vowels in the last quarter of the sequence. The results suggest that both within-word and between-word statistical learning are reflected in neural responses. The present study supports the hypothesis that listeners learn larger structures such as phrases first, and they subsequently extract smaller structures, such as words, from the learned phrases. The present study provides the first neurophysiological evidence that the correction of statistical knowledge requires more time than the acquisition of new statistical knowledge.

Details

show
hide
Language(s): eng - English
 Dates: 2016-11-232015-06-252016-12-052016-12-062017-01-27
 Publication Status: Published in print
 Pages: -
 Publishing info: -
 Table of Contents: -
 Rev. Type: Peer
 Identifiers: DOI: 10.1016/j.neuropsychologia.2016.12.006
PMID: 27939187
Other: Epub 2016
 Degree: -

Event

show

Legal Case

show

Project information

show

Source 1

show
hide
Title: Neuropsychologia
Source Genre: Journal
 Creator(s):
Affiliations:
Publ. Info: Oxford : Pergamon
Pages: - Volume / Issue: 95 Sequence Number: - Start / End Page: 1 - 10 Identifier: ISSN: 0028-3932
CoNE: https://pure.mpg.de/cone/journals/resource/954925428258