English
 
User Manual Privacy Policy Disclaimer Contact us
  Advanced SearchBrowse

Item

ITEM ACTIONSEXPORT
  Genome-wide SNP typing of ancient DNA: Determination of hair and eye color of Bronze Age humans from their skeletal remains.

Schmidt, N., Schücker, K., Krause, I., Dörk, T., Klintschar, M., & Hummel, S. (2020). Genome-wide SNP typing of ancient DNA: Determination of hair and eye color of Bronze Age humans from their skeletal remains. American Journal of Physical Anthropology, (in press). doi:10.1002/ajpa.23996.

Item is

Basic

show hide
Item Permalink: http://hdl.handle.net/21.11116/0000-0005-9359-1 Version Permalink: http://hdl.handle.net/21.11116/0000-0005-935D-D
Genre: Journal Article

Files

show Files
hide Files
:
3190328.pdf (Preprint), 2MB
Name:
3190328.pdf
Description:
-
Visibility:
Public
MIME-Type / Checksum:
application/pdf / [MD5]
Technical Metadata:
Copyright Date:
-
Copyright Info:
-
:
3190328_Suppl.DCSupplemental (Supplementary material), 82KB
Name:
3190328_Suppl.DCSupplemental
Description:
-
Visibility:
Public
MIME-Type / Checksum:
application/xhtml+xml / [MD5]
Technical Metadata:
Copyright Date:
-
Copyright Info:
-
License:
-

Locators

show

Creators

show
hide
 Creators:
Schmidt, N., Author
Schücker, K.1, Author              
Krause, I., Author
Dörk, T., Author
Klintschar, M., Author
Hummel, S., Author
Affiliations:
1Department of Meiosis, MPI for Biophysical Chemistry, Max Planck Society, ou_2205654              

Content

show
hide
Free keywords: ancient and degraded DNA; eye color; genome wide; hair color; high-throughput SNP typing; phenotype
 Abstract: Objective A genome-wide high-throughput single nucleotide polymorphism (SNP) typing method was tested with respect of the applicability to ancient and degraded DNA. The results were compared to mini-sequencing data achieved through single base extension (SBE) typing. The SNPs chosen for the study allow to determine the hair colors and eye colors of humans. Material and methods The DNA samples were extracted from the skeletal remains of 59 human individuals dating back to the Late Bronze Age. The 3,000 years old bones had been discovered in the Lichtenstein Cave in Lower Saxony, Germany. The simultaneous typing of 24 SNPs for each of the ancient DNA samples was carried out using the 192.24 Dynamic Array (TM) by Fluidigm (R). Results Thirty-eight of the ancient samples (=64%) revealed full and reproducible SNP genotypes allowing hair and eye color phenotyping. In 10 samples (=17%) at least half of the SNPs were unambiguously determined, in 11 samples (=19%) the SNP typing failed. For 23 of the 59 individuals, a comparison of the SNP typing results with genotypes from an earlier performed SBE typing approach was possible. The comparison confirmed the full concordance of the results for 90% of the SNP typings. In the remaining 10% allelic dropouts were identified. Discussion The high genotyping success rate could be achieved by introducing modifications to the preamplification protocol mainly by increasing the DNA input and the amplification cycle number. The occurrence of allelic dropouts indicates that a further increase of DNA input to the preamplification step is desirable.

Details

show
hide
Language(s): eng - English
 Dates: 2020-01-20
 Publication Status: Published online
 Pages: -
 Publishing info: -
 Table of Contents: -
 Rev. Method: Peer
 Identifiers: DOI: 10.1002/ajpa.23996
 Degree: -

Event

show

Legal Case

show

Project information

show

Source 1

show
hide
Title: American Journal of Physical Anthropology
Source Genre: Journal
 Creator(s):
Affiliations:
Publ. Info: -
Pages: - Volume / Issue: - Sequence Number: (in press) Start / End Page: - Identifier: -