User Manual Privacy Policy Disclaimer Contact us
  Advanced SearchBrowse




Journal Article

Impacts of land cover and climate data selection on understanding terrestrial carbon dynamics and the CO2 airborne fraction

There are no MPG-Authors available
External Ressource
Fulltext (public)

(Publisher version), 3MB

Supplementary Material (public)
There is no public supplementary material available

Poulter, B., Frank, D. C., Hodson, E. L., & Zimmermann, N. E. (2011). Impacts of land cover and climate data selection on understanding terrestrial carbon dynamics and the CO2 airborne fraction. Biogeosciences, 8, 2027-2026. doi:10.5194/bg-8-2027-2011.

Cite as: http://hdl.handle.net/11858/00-001M-0000-0014-4F51-1
Terrestrial and oceanic carbon cycle processes remove 55% of global carbon emissions, with the remaining 45 %, known as the “airborne fraction”, accumulating in the atmosphere. The long-term dynamics of the component fluxes contributing to the airborne fraction are challenging to interpret, but important for informing fossil-fuel emission targets and for monitoring the trends of biospheric carbon fluxes. Climate and land-cover forcing data for terrestrial ecosystem models are a largely unexplored source of uncertainty in terms of their contribution to understanding airborne fraction dynamics. Here we present results using a single dynamic global vegetation model forced by an ensemble experiment of climate (CRU, ERA-Interim, NCEP-DOE II), and diagnostic land-cover datasets (GLC2000, GlobCover, MODIS). For the averaging period 1996–2005, forcing uncertainties resulted in a large range of simulated global carbon fluxes, up to 13% for net primary production (52.4 to 60.2 Pg C a−1) and 19% for soil respiration (44.2 to 54.8 Pg C a−1). The sensitivity of contemporary global terrestrial carbon fluxes to climate strongly depends on forcing data (1.2–5.9 Pg C K−1 or 0.5 to 2.7 ppmv CO2 K−1), but weakening carbon sinks in sub-tropical regions and strengthening carbon sinks in northern latitudes are found to be robust. The climate and land-cover combination that best correlate to the inferred carbon sink, and with the lowest residuals, is from observational data (CRU) rather than reanalysis climate data and with land-cover categories that have more stringent criteria for forest cover (MODIS). Since 1998, an increasing positive trend in residual error from bottom-up accounting of global sinks and sources (from 0.03 (1989–2005) to 0.23 Pg C a−1 (1998–2005)) suggests that either modeled drought sensitivity of carbon fluxes is too high, or that carbon emissions from net land-cover change is too large.