User Manual Privacy Policy Disclaimer Contact us
  Advanced SearchBrowse




Journal Article

Putative spin-nematic phase in BaCdVO(PO4)2


Schmidt,  B.
Burkhard Schmidt, Physics of Quantum Materials, Max Planck Institute for Chemical Physics of Solids, Max Planck Society;

External Ressource
No external resources are shared
Fulltext (public)
There are no public fulltexts stored in PuRe
Supplementary Material (public)
There is no public supplementary material available

Skoulatos, M., Rucker, F., Nilsen, G. J., Bertin, A., Pomjakushina, E., Olliver, J., et al. (2019). Putative spin-nematic phase in BaCdVO(PO4)2. Physical Review B, 100(1): 014405, pp. 1-5. doi:10.1103/PhysRevB.100.014405.

Cite as: http://hdl.handle.net/21.11116/0000-0004-82B7-A
We report neutron-scattering and ac magnetic susceptibility measurements of the two-dimensional spin-1/2 frustrated magnet BaCdVO(PO4)(2). At temperatures well below T-N approximate to 1 K, we show that only 34% of the spin moment orders in an up-up-down-down stripe structure. Dominant magnetic diffuse scattering and comparison to published muon-spin-rotation measurements indicates that the remaining 66% is fluctuating. This demonstrates the presence of strong frustration, associated with competing ferromagnetic and antiferromagnetic interactions, and points to a subtle ordering mechanism driven by magnon interactions. On applying magnetic field, we find that at T = 0.1 K the magnetic order vanishes at 3.8 T, whereas magnetic saturation is reached only above 4.5 T. We argue that the putative high-field phase is a realization of the long-sought bond-spin-nematic state.